Saturday, May 06, 2006

haircuts

I finally got a haircut for going back to work. Not to be outdone, August got one too. But since I cut it for her... well you can see for yourself. Cutting hair is at the same time easier and harder than I thought it would be. It's easy to achieve a standard haircut without resorting to a "bowl cut". It's difficult to get the different lengths proportional to each other (short on top, longer on bottom, for example)

I love my new hair stylist, H. Walking distance from my home. He doesn't fill up every second with chatter. Best of all he asks "why" when I tell him what I want. When he's sure he understands what my parameters are, he executes perfectly and creatively. My only complaint is that he was tough to schedule with. Finally, he found a timeslot for me due to a cancellation.

While he was finishing up, I told H that I had originally looked at a salon near my new work place but I'd been put off because the owner of the other place, Mac, had pretended to be completely booked for the whole day when all I wanted was a consultation. It was 10AM on a weekday and Mac didn't have a single customer in the place. I was standing right in front of him, so who was he fooling. I told H that I understood that most everyone in the hair biz pretends to be fully booked because so much rides on reputation, but that this was going to extremes. The meta-conversation was that I was telling H not to play those games with me. Incredibly, H responded to the obvious conversation and the meta conversation both, "It's a strange business... he should have just said he had a cancellation spot available." Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home